GEOSPATIAL ENABLING TECHNOLOGIES participates at the implementation of the project “Implementation of a forecAsting System for urban heaT Island effect for the development of urban adaptation strategies – LIFE ASTI” under the LIFE 2014-2020 Programme / Subprogram Climate Action / LIFE 2017 Call.

The partners for the implementation of this project areL

  1. Αριστοτέλειο Πανεπιστήμιο Θεσσαλονίκης (coordinator beneficiary)
  2. Azienda Sanitaria Locale Roma 1
  3. Geospatial Enabling Technologies
  4. Institute of Atmospheric Sciences and Climate National Research Council of Italy
  5. Municipality of Thessaloniki
  6. Sympraxis Team P.C.

LIFE ASTI aims to the design and pilot implementation of a set of prediction systems for short-term prediction of the Urban Heat Island effect during the thermal incidents for the consequences in health in two Mediterranean cities, Thessaloniki and Rome. Prediction systems will be also used for the evaluation of future climate change scenarios impact on Urban Heat Island over Thessaloniki and Rome in order to quantify the result of promoting mitigation plans to combat the impact of the same problem for the two selected cities. This will lead to the development of strategies for better adaption and mitigation of Urban Heat Islands effects during thermal incidents, for reducing the risk of heat-induced incidents in metropolitan areas and for better implementation of energy efficiency policies in European cities.

The project is funded by the European Union at 60%, while the remaining 40% is covered by each partner’s own resources.